As a professional, you should always be looking to learn new skills. The more you know, the better you will stand out from the competition. Until recently, though, gaining new skills was difficult. Fortunately, now that online courses are so commonplace, it is significantly easier to pick up the right know-how. One of the best places for this is LinkedIn Learning, a newer initiative started by LinkedIn, in partnership with the e-learning platform Lynda.
Let’s take a look at how you can utitilize LinkedIn Learning to boost your personal growth and career, as well as foster a new audience for your business:
What is LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn, a social platform for professionals, has recently shifted much of its focus to education. They acquired the online education platform, Lynda, and started offering professional courses through LinkedIn Learning. Whatever your occupation is, chances are there is something new to learn on this platform! Learn more about LinkedIn Learning HERE, and sign up for your first month for free to explore your options.
How Do You Get Started?
Once you have registered with the platform, begin by choosing general skills that interest you.
LinkedIn Learning will then provide you with recommendations, based on your interests.
In addition, there are other ways to discover courses:
- According to Your Field (which is broken down into three categories: Business, Creative, and Technology)
- Top Liked
- Search with Keywords (e.g., “Excel”)
What Sets LinkedIn Learning Apart?
While many other learning platforms provide general education topics, LinkedIn Learning specifically focuses on professional development. Because of this, they offer three ways to learn:
- By Subject – If you want to gain experience with a specific skill, this is the way to go! You can pick a topic (e.g., HR, Finance) and then choose courses based on that.
- Software – Today, especially for a business owner, there is a solid chance that you need to know your way around several types of software. There is an ever-growing selection of courses specifically designed to help you quickly learn how best to utilize various software.
- Learning Paths – This is where LinkedIn Learning truly shines! If you are looking to transition into a new field or take your business in another direction, there are Learning Paths to help you do just that. Instead of having to look for random courses in a given field, you can simply pick your path and get a structured learning experience. If you want to learn digital marketing, for example, the Learning Path offers you courses in:
- Online Marketing Foundations
- SEO Foundations
- Google Analytics
- Content Marketing Foundations
- Lead Generation Foundations
- Growth Hacking
- Creating an Integrated Strategy
While completing the Learning Path will not instantly make you an “expert,” it will give you the essential knowledge needed to start with that career path.
What is the Cost of LinkedIn Learning?
Unlike universities, you won’t have to dip into your savings to acquire the new knowledge you seek. LinkedIn Learning costs just $29.99 per month, which is such a small investment compared to the new job you could land or the new growth your business could experience. Also, you can cancel during your first month and not have to pay anything.
What are the Drawbacks?
While the platform itself works like a charm, you will need to personally put some effort into researching the quality of the courses you want to take. Since there are hundreds of lectures available, you have to do a bit of digging to ascertain which one would best serve your purpose.
Another drawback is that you cannot tell how old a course is. This is perfectly fine for some fields. The “how-to” of writing does not really change much over the years. With anything to do with technology or digital marketing, this can be a problem, as these fields are rapidly evolving.
Are You Ready to Start Learning?
LinkedIn Learning is definitely worth the investment of money and time to increase your knowledge and skill sets. This will help you grow personally and professionally, which can only benefit your business. Additionally, if you are considered an “expert” in a particular area, apply to offer a course on LinkedIn Learning, which could be a boon for your business!